The Home Page

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

WHAT IF ...

The GBE2 topic for this week, "What if..." and I am going to play for the second week in a row!  I never used to miss a topic and then, I lost my passion. Writing has been a requirement for me for years now and all of a sudden, it's not.  The retirement of Roomy had a lot to do with it. Does that sound silly to you?  He was here all day most every day and my writing time was gone. My alone with my thoughts time was gone. My need to write felt alive and well, I wanted to write, but I had no passion. I didn't even go into the office except to pay a bill or make calls or maybe watch the TV on my desk while browsing FB.

Nothing has changed except that I really want to write again and have decided that it's all about just doing it.  Summer chores and the love of the outdoors cut into my favorite writing time slot, but I have also always enjoyed late night writing and I still have that time to myself.  I'm taking this bull by the horns. I have a rewrite that I want done and I am going to get to that beginning tonight.  But right now, I'm blogging!

What if...

My first novel had been picked up by one of the twenty or thirty publishers I sent it to?  It would now be out there in hard or paperback in some bookstores across the country. What if a lot of people really liked it?  What if no one liked it?  What if the publisher had asked for book number 2, my personal favorite?  This one I am sure would have sold well with proper marketing and editing. I love this book and I have wanted it published in affordable paperback ever since the day I finished the rough draft.  It's still on sale at Kindle and B&N Nook, but the sales have slowed.  I get notes from readers and it is borrowed quite often among friends; that speaks well of Beautiful Betsy. It makes me very happy.  But, you know IF any of my books had been picked up, I would be out on tour and working under deadlines and trying to outsell my last GIANT hit and really, that's not me.  I'm a very casual writer who writes much more for myself and a little bit for the love I get from readers who like my style of casual and conversational story telling.  It's fun and it's completely at my leisure.  So IF Betsy had been published, I wouldn't have the choice of writing or not writing. I wouldn't have the option of rewriting The Island Princess. I'd be far too busy to enjoy procrastinating.  It's better that I self-published on Kindle and Nook.

What if...yeah, well, as usual, everything worked out as it was meant to work out. I am getting back to the office tonight and I am going to stick to my newly decided writing schedule because as one of my dearest friends in the world told me years ago, "Writers Write. The good ones, they write everyday if only for a few minutes, they write."

If you think you might like my books, the two still at Amazon and Barnes and Noble can be found by searching Jo Heroux, Author.  Both Beautiful Betsy and Summer in Martinstown are stories of people just like some people you may know.  I created lives and they wrote their stories through my keyboard. Lots of twists and turns and unexpected events will hopefully keep your interest.  Oh, and let me know if you read one and like it or if you read one and have no intention of ever reading another Jo Heroux piece.  Either way, I love hearing from my readers.

What if you're  missing out on a really good read?

21 comments:

  1. I was here, enjoy reading you.Velda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always makes me smile to know you were here. Thanks for always supporting me. Always.

      Delete
  2. If only...one of these days you will be famous and I will be first in line getting your autograph in your book.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...I love having friends who always know just what to say! Thanks my friend and there will be no line for you, yours will be hand delivered! ♥

      Delete
  3. How did I miss that you had a couple books out? I guess because you are not endlessly flogging them, like some authors (and THANK YOU for that).

    Downloading "Summer" now. Yes, from what I am given to understand, life of a best-selling author ain't all it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in on my rare post, though two in a row nearly qualifies me as a regular! πŸ˜„

      The thing is, I thought it was imperative to be published, at one point. Now I know it's imperative to write. Being read is the icing and being enjoyed is the whipped cream. Ebook publishing is made for people like me who really don't want to edit endlessly and rewrite to someone else's standards but, still would like to share. I'll never get rich with e books, but then, that was never my goal.

      Thank you for checking out Summer....I hope you enjoy it, but please let me know either way.

      Delete
  4. I think loving the journey is a gift. As for posting two in a row - huge roar from the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...I can't hear you over the crowd noise! I agree with the journey being the gift. ❤

      Delete
  5. YEAH TWO IN A ROW!!!!! I was just thinking "what if everyone who wrote responded to all who contributed" :) and You my friend..ALWAYS true blue!!! WRITE ON MY FRIEND and as KL said; loving the journey is KEY and you're our personal gift!!!!!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ’œ Funny you should say that, about me being a gift, I have said the same about you many times. My gifts are way too numerous to name, but YOU are for sure among them and always a nice bright ray of Nature and Light.

      What if...we all just loved and respected all living things? You and I are the founders of this club! Joiners?

      Delete
  6. I was here Jo :) Surely a wonderful writer like you will become famous! Thank you very much for always commenting on my post and encouraging me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for remembering who I am! LOL
      supporting each other is what writing groups are all about. I have friends here who will never leave my heart because of all the kindness and honesty they have shown me.

      πŸ’œ

      Delete
  7. What if...I go right now and download your books, then I will be in the "in-crowd" - sorry I missed that these were out there in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what if you do that and then tell me what you think? What if you are brutally honest and share your brilliance with me, after?


      What if I thank you, in advance, for the support? Thank you for being a friend from GBE2 and commenting so often with loving remarks.

      Delete
  8. Love you Jo, everything for a reason! Gotta download your books now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY, A d as I've asked above - please let me know when you've read them.

      Life happens s it is meant to happen! πŸ’œU 2!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. I have the same dream. I've written five novels and not one of them has been picked up. It's frustrating.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frustrating? Not anymore for me. I think after I'm 6 feet under, oh no, I'll be a heap of ashes, whatever, that's when I'll get published and hailed as a great author!
      Bahahahahahahaha

      Delete
  10. like you, jo, writing has been a struggle for me.. for various reasons.... BUT, i am trying to get back on track, and hope to get back into the GBE2 prompts (i used to write for every one of them too, but i haven't done so in way too long).... i will look for your books @ amazon) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's okay to take a break and when real life gets complicated or just busy, my writing gets set aside. I'm getting back now and feeling like my life is finding order again.

      Search author Jo Heroux it should show both books. Thank you so much!

      Delete

I really want to know that YOU were here...please drop me a note or just say Hi ~ I do love a comment and it keeps me motivated!

You write and I will answer. Eventually. Show the love!