The Home Page

Friday, March 9, 2012

Love Song

When I think of Love Songs, 
I always think first of ♥ Elvis ♥ singing 

The Hawaiian Wedding Song from Blue Hawaii. 

It is so beautiful and no one, that's right, NO ONE does it as well.  
I can see him singing to his brand new wife on the raft floating on the blue Hawaiian waterway.  


We have been in Hawaii for four of our anniversaries and have had this song played and/or sung for us at three of those. It is the single most romantic song I have ever heard. Although Elvis sang many romantic tunes better than anyone else, this one has always been my favorite.
I can believe he was singing it to me for us on our wedding day. "Blue skies of Hawaii smile on this our wedding day."  We were married in March and the blue skies of Hawaii were no doubt smiling on our wedding day. Here in Michigan, as I recall, it wasn't sunny or bright. Then again, I was severely hung over as was my groom, so maybe the sun was out, maybe not.


We are just a few days from our 30th (March 12) and again I will remember what it was about this man that made me so certain he was a keeper. I will again wonder why he fell in love with me. I brought so much to the table! Two kids he would help me raise. A house in much need of an update, which I had purchased from FHA after a repo. It was not in good cosmetic condition, but structurally, it was sound and big. I loved that house right up until our kids all moved out and we were empty nesters in an 1800 square foot house. Way too much cleaning and heating and cooling for two people and a dog. But I digress, how unusual for me, huh?  I had a pretty good job, but didn't make a ton of money. I had a car and a car payment. I didn't have much debt and I was paying all my bills on time. He came with kids, unpaid bills, a good job that paid well, a lot of love and the kind of devotion you usually only get from your dog. The man, inexplicably loved me unconditionally. I have a much better mate than he has. I am a much better organizer than he is. He is so easy to please, it takes no effort. I am a far better cook. He is a far better eater. 


Life has handed us many hurdles and many blessings. We have lived through all of those and laughed a great deal, cried a little and been grateful for it all. We are not always happy. We argue, now and then. Rarely. We disagree about stupid stuff and agree about important stuff. He is bull headed and I am...well, um, ahhhh, errrrr, bull headed. That can be a problem. It isn't. If it's important to him, he wins. If it's important to me, I win. If it's not really a big deal either way, I win.  Works for me.


We seldom watch TV together. He loves sports, westerns and a few cop shows. I like sitcoms, reality TV and all the cop shows.  We watch Blue Bloods, NCIS, Hawaii Five-O and Law and Order together. The occasional western movie because I do enjoy them now and then. He has a man cave, sports arena, whatever, in the downstairs family room. A big TV and 5 reclining chairs. I have a big screen and 4 reclining seats in the living room. Seems fair and it works for us.  It's all about fairness and equality, right?  


I know why I married him and I know why it has worked all these years, but I still don't really know why he chose me nor do I know why he stayed through some of the tougher times. He sees no reason to talk about those things and I guess I'm okay with that because I'm still here waiting for him to come home each day. Yep, I'm a talker and he's a listener. That might be the key, except he doesn't really listen. He's a man. He appears to be listening, but no, he hears very little. Maybe that's best. I say a lot, but maybe only a minuscule amount is worth hearing. He knows that apparently. 


Happy Anniversary to my big ole hunk o' love, Mikey. You really are the best and my last chance for romance! Oh, yeah! That's another thing we have in common.  :)

Thirty years of marital bliss!  That man is a saint, or thinks he is, anyway.  I just think he's my roomy.  ♥


"Now that we are one, Clouds won't hide the sun. Blue skies of Hawaii smile on this our wedding day.
I do, love you, with all my heart."


Jo

42 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I thought I'd be nice to him, just this one time. ♥

      Delete
  2. Jo, this was so sweet! Yes, no one can compare to the depth of Elvis...I'm very happy for you and your roomy. I think you're both lucky to have each other. Congratulations! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's not share THAT with him. I have spent 30 years telling him how lucky he is to have ME. I think he is beginning to believe me. Maybe.
      Thanks Linda. ♥

      Delete
  3. Awww so cute! Im jealous! Hope one day I find what you guys have :) <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I suspect you will when you least expect it. That's how love finds you. ♥

      Delete
  4. I'd bet you'd be hard-pressed to guess if it were really Elvis if Chris Isaak recorded The Hawaiian Wedding Song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty good at spotting the fakers if they sing long enough. They can fool me briefly, but if they do the whole song, I can usually tell. He is good though.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Jo (and the "roomy")... the pic of you two is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you k~...We don't have many good pics! One of us (the girl one) isn't very photogenic! LOL

      Delete
  6. Lovely post Jo!! Happy Anniversary! :D Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading about you Jo. It always seems to me you say what I need to hear at just the right time. Thanks for the positive thoughts. I too would love to find someone to share with. Maybe its too late for me but you keep the hope alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late for you? You're still alive and still loving life, not too late!
      I'm happy if I make you smile now and then.

      Delete
  8. You put it so well for those of us who really are in love with our partner...Jean and I just did 45 and it is all of the things that you say..she is better than I am and puts up with me. Yes I do enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That woman must be a saint also...45 years! That's wonderful. I don't think Mike is "better" than me, just a better mate! He is much more tolerant than I and well, he's a back to basics man, so he doesn't really require a lot to be happy. Thank goodness! :)

      And thank you for finally commenting!

      Delete
  9. Awww! Happy Anniversary to you and your roomy! It sounds like you have it all figured out with what works and what don't. After that many years, you should know each other really well. This post really touched my heart, as you do!!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I am fortunate to have found someone to share my life and it wasn't of course, the first time. It touches my heart every time I think about this man. He has his faults, as do I, but all in all I could not have had a better match.

      Delete
  10. Happy Anniversary! Love this paragraph: "He came with kids, unpaid bills, a good job that paid well, a lot of love and the kind of devotion you usually only get from your dog. The man, inexplicably loved me unconditionally."

    Love the second time around and a compatible mate is indeed a blessing. You two found the right ingredients to make it work. May your marriage be blessed with another 30 yrs! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It's true and I am thankful. The paragraph you quoted is absolutely true. It really is puppy love! :)

      Delete
  11. Happy Anniversary to you and Mike...however, I love the same movie and my song that I think is the best (as you know because I am told you 10 trillion times) is "Can't Help Falling in Love." Love it when he give Maile's grandma the music box. Love that movie!

    Chele :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Make that "have" told you.... lol

    Chele :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously? You like "Can't Help Falling in Love"? bahahaha
    I love that song, too, as you also know, but the Wedding Song was from him to her and I love, love, love that scene. He is so well, ELVIS at his best and she is just perfection so naturally it reminds me of Mike and I! bahahahahahha
    Thanks Chele. I knew you would read this one.

    My second favorite E movie is "Stay Away Joe"...he's so cute in that one and I think like 20? Or close! I forget now, but so young and so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read them all....just don't always comment.

      Chele :)

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful post and what a beautiful couple. He is just as blessed as you are so don't put yourself down. Matches made in heaven don't come along everyday and I'm sure glad you found yours. Happy Anniversary to you both!♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much KAT. Ya know, it takes two to make it and only one to break it, so I guess we've got it for now! ♥

      Delete
  15. ah, jo. so cute, of you and mikey.

    i hope your days are filled with love, and happiness.

    anyone who hooks up with you must be a great person! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are much too kind! He's just stuck with me and too lazy to start over with anyone else! :)
      Thank you for the good wishes and you know I'm sending them right back at choo.

      Delete
  16. I love how you love!!
    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful tribute, Jo, and a beautiful picture! I agree that you are both lucky to have found each other. My husband and I feel the same way. A very happy anniversary to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Elaine. Love is lovely, isn't it? A friend of mine says that! I like it. ♥

      Delete
  18. Happy Anniversary!!! This kind of post keeps the good spirit of relationships alive! It's tough to be with someone but some people are meant to be together just like you and your husband :)Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all relationships have their ups and downs and some just aren't worth the saving. This one was and is. Thank you, so much. ♥

      Delete
  19. Beautiful song! Your marriage sounds much like mine, but I got into big trouble in the 70's when I called him my "Roomie"...LOL He wants people to KNOW we are married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me everyone knows we are married! He doesn't care what I call him, as long as I don't call him late for dinner. LOL

      Thanks Darlene.

      Delete
  20. Aww, this was wonderful! You made me laugh a bunch, too:

    "I am a far better cook. He is a far better eater."

    and

    "He is bull headed and I am...well, um, ahhhh, errrrr, bull headed. That can be a problem. It isn't. If it's important to him, he wins. If it's important to me, I win. If it's not really a big deal either way, I win. Works for me."

    Oh, and I know why he fell in love with you. Heck, we ALL know why he fell in love with you--it's the same reason the rest of us have, too. Your heart is .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, good job Beth. You made my eye leak~again. I love you all, well most of you (*winking*) right back and have never had such a wonderful support system, ever.
      The truth is that we are just a good set, Mike and I, and not having to be someone that I'm not is all I have ever wanted and we are both very real and very straight forward. We don't have a lot of things in common, but our moral values are the same and our life goals are the same. The rest is just more interesting because we each have our own things we love to do.
      I was very lucky to find him when I did because any sooner and I wouldn't have been ready for him. Any later and I might not have wanted him. I was becoming very independent when we met and he respected that then as he does today. It's a good thing.
      Glad I made you smile or laugh. :)

      Delete
  21. Happy Anniversary Jo! I love the King too. Many of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. It was a lovely week-end celebration. Elvis is my all time favorite and my cd player is usually hold 4 or 5 of his and one or two of my friend who also is on my top 3 list. Doil Smith is a guitar playin' singin' fool! I love his music, too.

      Delete
  22. Happy Anniversary Jo. I love the song too and enjoyed your post - very nicely written. Thanks for sharing your love with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzy, Sharing love is how you get love. My pleasure. ♥

      Delete

I really want to know that YOU were here...please drop me a note or just say Hi ~ I do love a comment and it keeps me motivated!

You write and I will answer. Eventually. Show the love!