The Home Page

Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Best Day in MY Life



Good morning, afternoon or evening!  I am today's host for the

BlogFEST 

and today's prompt is a finish this sentence prompt.

The Best Day in My Life....

You may finish this one any way you please. Any way at all.  Run with it! I can't wait to read your thoughts!

When you have written your thoughts...place the url to your blog in the comments box below, if you'd like, BUT don't forget to post in the thread on

BlogFEST https://www.facebook.com/pages/BlogFEST-2012/508934629122385


Here are my thoughts on this one...


The easiest and probably most honest answer would be the birth of my babies, two days equally happy, but I think there was one day that I might have been happier in a completely different.

In 1988 our first granddaughter was born. That was a very happy time. Not just one day though. As each grandchild came the same, very happy times, but not single days. My retirement has created many happy days in a row running now into years of contentment and pleasure, but not a single happiest day in my life.

Defining happiness as a very light heart, no worries, electrified feeling of elation and satisfaction, the happiest day of my life was September 21, 2012.  We paid off our mortgage and became home owners free and clear. If we want to sell out now and do something else, the money would be ours. If we decide to stay here for the long haul, the investment has been made. Mike can retire in December as he says he plans, without that mortgage hanging over his head. It has been my dream for a very long time to never have to worry about losing our home regardless of what happened financially in our lives. We have an annuity which will pay the taxes and insurance, unless they sky-rocket, for the rest of our lives. So we feel fairly confident we are good as far as a roof over our heads go. Unbelievable relief.

At this point we owe the usual monthly utilities and insurances and nothing else.

That day was like our own independence day. Happy is almost not a big enough word. It wasn't like a new baby happy; not like Mom finally moved close to us happy; not the kids are all coming home for a day happy more like life-settling-in-as-we-hoped-and-planned for many years happy. The kind of happy that sits easily on your stomach and heart and mind. Peace, contentment and maybe even a bit of sedation falling all around us. A kind of happiness that only comes from working together for 13 years with a single goal. Both incomes contributing until only one was needed and then a little belt tightening for 7 years until finally, it's achieved with very little effort. It just took single minded financing and never allowing other debts to become more important or too big to allow the extra money on that mortgage. It all worked. Losing $70,000 after 9/11 from his pension fund didn't help at all. That money would have paid the house off, had the financial adviser we used insisted we should NOT pay off the house, but rather invest in insurance, it's very safe. RIGHT.
September 11 nearly bankrupted the insurance company we were heavily invested with and we were too old and too far in to ever recover that kind of loss. We made a new plan and I went back to work after my first retirement was just 3 years old. I worked 4 more years and then was able to safely walk away and retire for good (I hope) nearly 3 years ago.

Deep, deep satisfaction and comfort in this kind of happiness.

At age 74 and almost 63, I believe our golden years began September 21, 2012!

Jo

20 comments:

  1. Paying off the mortgage is truly a wonderful thing! I remember that day and when you posted your FB status, I could feel your happiness all the way to my house! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still feel it. It's like we worked for 30 years, selling our paid off house and almost starting over with a large down payment almost 14 years ago. What a feeling! Paid off the 30 year mortgage in 14 years. Whoot whoot!!!

      Thanks for commenting...I miss that, too!

      Delete
  2. First, **Happy Dance** for Jo!!

    We are getting close to that day ourselves Jo!! I just can't wait :) At one point, we had a second mortgage...and we got super aggressive and about 3 years ago we paid it off. We were elated that day--so I can only surmise how we will feel when the 1st mortgage is also paid in full :) I have a student loan, but not a big deal on that one--and the rest of the bills are just utilities and optional (cell phone) type bills. No car payments, no credit cards, and we plan on keeping it that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that was our plan many years ago. Pay down, pay down and get done! Financial control has always been big on my list and I honestly feel "safe" now. Like everything extra could be cut out, if money became an issue, and our home would be our home. It's really good.

      Delete
  3. :-) yes, it is the collective moments that makes us happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy for you, life's work pays off in the end. Here's my take:
    http://danaemyangel.blogspot.com/2012/10/best-days-of-my-life.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't the end, yet! LOL But sacrifice does pay!

      Delete
  5. Now that's a day I dream of too. I had nearly paid mine off about 5 years ago and then I separated and he wiped me out - had to re-mortgage the house to pay his share. Glad to hear that sword has stopped dangling over your head. Enjoy the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'm hoping your pay off day comes sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  6. I would have a call my wedding day the happiest day of my life. I had other special days but that's the one that stands out in my mind.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our wedding is pretty much a blur in my head. The resulting marriage has been pretty darn good though.

      Delete
  7. Such a great story of working together and being focused, Jo. You have every right to feel that it was the best day of your life - both of you certainly earned it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! What a great feeling to have that weight lifted from your shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes retirement possible and a lot more comfortable!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful and Yay! Congrats, Jo and enjoy your retirement. I love the this prompt, btw.

    I have been out of sync for days now and trying to catch up :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Looking forward to reading yours.

      Delete
  10. Fascinating Jo, and so true. Financial independence (from the banks, that is) is a great, great feeling. My husband and I hope to be there shortly, too. This was a TERRIFIC topic. I loved writing about it. It brought back wonderful feelings. Thanks so much for the thoughtful pick. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good thing! I shall not be homeless. LOL Your best day was delightful!

      Delete

I really want to know that YOU were here...please drop me a note or just say Hi ~ I do love a comment and it keeps me motivated!

You write and I will answer. Eventually. Show the love!