The Home Page

Monday, October 1, 2012

LIFE OF THE PARTY

Every party, every gathering of two or more people gives us the chance to be the observer who is entertained by the 'stars' or an opportunity to 'star' at the event. I don't know about you, but I have most certainly done both.

Given the choice of those two things, I would normally choose the 'star' roll because to be honest, I like attention. Might even be called an attention whore. I love to host parties because that in itself can sort of make me a 'star'. At least everyone who attends will greet me, thank me, probably spend some time during the party talking with me and of course, will be certain to tell me good-bye when they leave. I am pretty much guaranteed of some attention and if the group is a lively one, I may prefer to watch and be entertained. If they are just sit around and talkers, I may then feel the necessity to be the entertainer. I'm pretty comfortable being either.

A friend and I were out of town with our husbands for a week-end of softball. They were umpiring and she and I were shopping, getting haircuts and making friends. She is very outgoing and much like me, will start a conversation with most anyone we run across. That being said, it's quite easy to understand how we sort of took over the salon while we (without appointments) waiting for our haircuts. We sat in the waiting area of this lovely small town, privately owned salon and offered our services as consultants to all the waiting clients. We just had a ball. I think (remember here that I was a hairdresser at this time) helped them out quite well and saved the hairdressers some time they normally might have spent consulting! We didn't even charge them for our service.

After getting our hairs cut, very nicely, I might add, the salon owner invited us to a wedding reception being held that very evening in a local restaurant.  How nice was that?  Well, we declined but were very flattered by the invite.  She told us we would add some flare that she was pretty sure this reception could use.  We all laughed and made a few jokes about such get togethers and my friend and I were on our way out and off to do some shopping.

In the first store, a clothing store, we started messing around with the clerk who was trying to help us out. She was a riot. Had a lot of great style ideas, if we had been 20 instead of 40+, but that just added to our fodder and the jokes continued. We made a few purchases and as we were leaving, the clerk invited us to her house that evening for a party she was hosting for her son's high school graduation.  Yep a graduation party!

I would say I was the co-star that entire week-end. My friend Ann and I have been known to bring down more than one house in laughter over the years and that week-end was no different.

Our husbands were not at all surprised when we told them we had some invitations for the evening, but they just wanted to go to dinner and have a couple drinks.

At the restaurant that night we were still laughing and the men were kind of doubting some of our story. That made us laugh even more. Out of nowhere one of the stylists from the salon comes over to us and says, "I can't believe you guys aren't coming back to the reception!  You're here, you may as well come back and party with us. Why buy drinks out here when you could come back and drink on Mary's credit card?"

The guys just started looking at each other, shaking their heads and then, well, cracking up!  No more doubts about who might be exaggerating and no more doubts about exactly how sociable their wives were.

Life is so much more fun when you just go around making new friends wherever you go. Don't you agree?

Jo

Be sure to visit our host's page...(clickity click here).

BlogFest entries are all listed here....Join or read more on this subject at (click here)

36 comments:

  1. Awesome post Jo!! Yeah-- I have been known to be the life of the party too on a few occasions. I Love how you and Ann were invited to go to two parties--and you didn't even know those people! How funny!! Then you RAN INTO the stylist at the restaurant...I think you were meant to be AT that party!!

    Thanks so much for sharing :) Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was hysterical. We did stop into the party, it would have been rude otherwise! he he he

      Delete
  2. Mms, not my thing. I sit and watch people. But then, some of them appear in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Observing is a great way to gather stories! I have done that myself, a time or two. :-)

      Delete
  3. That is a good story. I love laughter. I also love crashing wedding receptions and drinking on someone else's dime. That's a win-win every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? lol

      Anyway this was many years ago...but I think it could happen again!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Not popular, just very outgoing! LOL It was Ann who was the magnet, I just strung along. :-)

      Delete
  5. I can see you being that way, Jo. You seem like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had my moments, but as I am aging, they are fewer and fewer! Don't get out so much AND I'm not such a fan of being in a group anymore. There are many reasons for this, but back in the day....

      Delete
  6. Oh Jo, now I reeallllly can't wait to come see you next summer! :D You're a hoot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Mimi...let's remember this was 20 years or so ago! I may disappoint you at my ability to let loose now. I have calmed down considerably since these days.

      BUT I am anxious to spend a poolside day with you, too. Getting to know each other face to face will be a hoot!

      Delete
  7. Too funny! Although...as I have come to know you...right in character! Too cute of a story from a too cute kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right. It was a really fun week-end. We were in Scottville and I am guessing a few of those gals might even remember us yet today. What a day!

      Delete
  8. I would love to meet you and yor friend :) I could see the salon's reception with you two doling out free advice to those waiting, great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only offered our services to people who were receptive. You know, I wanna new look, kind of clients who were browsing style books and we just helped! lol

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you know how to have a good time!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had some laughs over the years just mingling with people I have not yet met. I find strangers don't really exist unless they choose to remain aloof. I love to hear people's stories and find most people love to tell them.

      Delete
  10. As always enjoying your writing a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Miss Claudia. The feeling is mutual.

      Delete
  11. You're such a crack up! Party invitations no matter where you go! I think we should throw a party so you can be "The Life of the Party" and I can just sit back and be the people watcher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably get some good writing research done by doing that!


      Delete
  12. Great story - sounds like you had a real ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did and all these years later, it still rings loud and clear if I call up memories of great times with wonderful people.

      Delete
  13. I can so see you taking over a whole town! I want to party with you! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do it! LOL I have settled a good bit in 20+ years, but I can still hang for a little while!

      Delete
  14. Jo, you're a woman after my own heart! There is nothing I like as much as striking up conversations with strangers. Can't say I've ever been invited to a wedding reception, but your story is wonderful and resonates deeply with me. I was smiling from start to finish.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really fun day with a really fun girl. Peas in a pod, our other friends say.

      Delete
  15. Nice glimpse into the "real Jo" - what an adventure, having a partner in crime always helps!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Making new friends wherever you go is such a gift! You really are the life of a party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gift and one I totally enjoy. I am the woman you don't want to sit next to you on a flight. :-)

      Delete
  17. I love a fun-loving friend. And I think you were meant to be at the party. A fun post, I enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy. It was a great weekend. She is a great old friend.

      Delete
  18. Oh, Jo, I'm not surprised. I've imagined you to be the life of a party. Sounds like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I'm not so much anymore, but it was a good and memorable weekend.

      Delete

I really want to know that YOU were here...please drop me a note or just say Hi ~ I do love a comment and it keeps me motivated!

You write and I will answer. Eventually. Show the love!