The Home Page

Sunday, August 13, 2023

Alone and lost in my loss

I lost my husband of 40 years in May of 2022. After 8 weeks of hospitalization and an emotional roller coaster of good news, not much improvement, looking good again...his kidneys finally just stopped and he began the process of leaving us with relief and peace. I could see that in his face. Felt it in the firmness with which he held my hand. When he could speak, he was loving and asking me to please let him go. I promised to do so when he was called home. Told him we would all be ok and would look after each other. Told him he could go in peace, because his work here was done. Told him I would miss him until we joined hands again. Hoping beyond measure that it would be sooner rather than later. I meant every word. I believed we would be okay, the kids, the grands and myself. None of us will ever really be okay again. His loss was much bigger than I allowed myself to believe. Bigger than any of us realized until it was real. The result of all of this is that I now want to pull back from everyone I love because I don't want to cause anyone else this kind of empty existence. This kind of pain. No purpose because my purpose is gone. No future because there is nothing left that I can do. The things I'd like to do, I can't possibly afford. The things I could do, I have no interest in really. So I fill my time by doing the household chores that we used to share, inside and out. I have to pay someone to do the things I'm not physically capable of doing. I spend a few hours three times a week with my Gal pals, my tribe, playing cards and bingo. I have a cat and a dog that take up a good deal of time. The cat, good and fun time and he is my joy. The dog, senior with multiple special needs and I am not one of his needs. He hates human touch unless he is in a strange place, not our home, then he loves me to hold him and stroke him. Otherwise, he uses all his strenth to push and pull and try to escape my hold on him. I'm always afraid I'll lose my grip and he will fall to his death. Seriously, I am very aware of this possibility because he wiggles and contorts and if he did fall, it would likely cause him to break his neck. He is only 6# of Chihauhua, but he's as strong as any labrador when he needs to escape. So far, 3 years of this,we are both still ok. I love the little mess, but he prefers being alone. This is far from the life I ever wanted or imagined. I hope every day that I dont have to be here many more. I'm ready to go Home and be with my love, my family and friends that have gone before. Life here is now far too empty for me. I know my departure date is set, I'm just hoping it isn't a long way down the road. I am a strong believer and therefore, feel I must have some pupose here that I have not fulfilled. I pray to see that purpose sooner than later so that I may get busy completing my assignment.

22 comments:

  1. Jo, my heart aches reading this. I so want to make things better for you but know there is absolutely nothing I can do. I love you and I am always here if you ever want to talk. You will forever have a special place in my heart. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️πŸ’š❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was near you, Jo. I'd give you the biggest hug and sit with you for a while...just sitting, if that is what you need. My prayers have you in them, my heart surrounds you in love. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m very grateful and He always has his eye on me, that keeps me praying and going on.

      Delete
  4. I love you Jo..and will never be ready to let you go. We have much more fun days together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jo, I ache for you. I can feel how deeply you're hurting, and I wish I had something of value to offer. I think of all you said above, I find this to be the saddest part: "The result of all of this is that I now want to pull back from everyone I love because I don't want to cause anyone else this kind of empty existence."

    You are so loved by so many, and when your time comes, you will be enormously missed. I don't think it's possible to save anyone else their grief, though we'd all love to spare those we love pain if we were able. I hope you'll find it in you to lean into the love I'm sure surrounds you. Your children and grandchildren are so blessed to be loved by you. You are a light for your friends. You are a million wonderful things.

    I know you're tired and hurting. I'm so sorry, my sweet friend. Love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I wanted to be better than this and some days, I actually am, but the truth is this is who I have become because when I open up and bleed, it is all too much and too little all at once. Lean into love, I don’t even know how to do that. I gave myself to everyone in my life until Mike died. I gave away the best I had, now there is no best. There is just me. Just me needing solitude. Just me needing my tribe and clinging to them. Just me seeing all my friends and family around getting on with their lives and I don’t freaking know HOW to do that.
      On my good days, I know I can do this. I do have way more good days than bad, but this post is all about what’s behind those good days. A lot is an act. A lot is a reprieve and I laugh and mean it. I will live out my days and I assume that I will reach a higher plain of acceptance at some point, but I’m just not there yet. Gary’s passing, my friend in Indiana having a set back and other issues are pressing harder today. The light and love and joy will return, I know that.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Oops. Hit the send button to soon. I don't even know what to say to this blog. I'm sorry just seems to small. I wish I had some sage advice or words of wisdom, but I do not. Just know I will be thinking about you.

      Delete
    2. I agree…don’t know how I got it so small…accidentally for sure.
      Thank you for your thoughts. πŸ’œ

      Delete
  7. Amy, Trey, and WillAugust 14, 2023 at 7:03 AM

    I wish I had the right words, some perfectly sewn together bits of perspective that would somehow ease your burden even a little bit. But I guess that’s a me problem. As a society, we are uncomfortable with the discomfort of others. And when we, ourselves, are going through something, we don’t want to put others through that discomfort. I’m not near you, but if you are picking people who can sit in your discomfort with you, please count me in. πŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you taking time to both read and comment and, of course, for always holding my heart. Love to all of you. πŸ’–πŸ’™πŸ’š

      Delete
  8. "The result of all of this is that I now want to pull back from everyone I love because I don't want to cause anyone else this kind of empty existence. This kind of pain"

    I have 100% been feeling this every day especially since the loss of my sister, and even more with the many more losses my family and I have experienced since. On one hand, I would okay with no longer existing, but on the other, I am terrified of (my parents mostly, but also friends and other family) experiencing that pain again and it's caused me much more anxiety and pressure to stay alive. This is something I rarely would speak on, but your honesty and vulnerability deserves the same. I know what it's like being told things will get better, to try to stay positive but it's more important to allow your feelings to be expressed without someone trying to tell you to change them...to go through EVERY emotion as your mind, body and soul needs to in the order that it comes. I sit beside you in spirit, my friend. I don't pretend to feel or know your grief, as each of ours is unique just as each love is unique, but I get it, as much as another possibly could. I do agree that you have a purpose still and I'm glad you are pushing through despite the weight of the sorrow you carry and I hope that weight does lessen over time and you find more reasons to smile. Continue to take all the time you need to grieve. I selfishly hope you are around longer, as I believe your wisdom and heart have helped so many others blossom and the world needs you here. You have already made a huge imprint on this earth and you will be missed immensely when your time comes, so try not to push others away (I will also try to take my own advice) and let all the love that's offered in --you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely reply. I know we’ve discussed grief and loss far too many times, but it somehow helps to share, I have learned. I have no answers for anyone else, don’t even believe there are are answers. I just believe I write about it because it clearly helps me and I always hope that I’m helping someone else to understand it’s ok to tone lost in your loss.
      It’s ok.

      Delete
    2. Alicia…it wasn’t dredged up at all, it’s with me every day. I write about it to ease my mind. I write hoping being lost in my loss helps someone else to not feel alone. To know that whatever form your grief takes, let it. I am sure we have to feel what ever we feel out loud in order to survive mentally.
      Thank you for starting this and being supportive. πŸ’œ

      Delete
  9. So sorry it took me so long to comment on your blog I've had many interruptions and gosh! this print is tiny! lol I'm so sorry for your loss. It must have been painful for you to dredge that up, or maybe it was catharti, I don't know but it was a lovely blog. I enjoyed your writing, despite the topic. Look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cathartic I couldn't edit my comment

      Delete
  10. My heart is with you. I pray you find your peace ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can feel how much pain you're in through your words. I wish I had some words of advice for you, all I have is words of love and thoughts for you. Sending you the biggest hugs this comment can portray for you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This loss is forever. The pain will lessen. But it will always return when least expected. As you can see, I am surrounded by love and that is why I can write about it and still go on looking for my path. Ty. Hugs right back.

      Delete
  12. I understand your beautiful response. I appreciate your sentiment, as well. I know we need each other and that there is a very special and very strong bond between us. I love that it exists. My heart is simply hoping you’ll never mourn my loss when I’m gone. You’ll miss me, of course, and I hope you’ll think of all the trials we all traveled and conquered together. I pray that is how you honor our relationship by living a life of conquering what feels unbeatable in the moment. Look at you now. You are doing that. Your proud mom is watching and not trying to lead because I don’t have to anymore. You’ve got this.
    I love you. I love all of us. Thank you for your loving thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

I really want to know that YOU were here...please drop me a note or just say Hi ~ I do love a comment and it keeps me motivated!

You write and I will answer. Eventually. Show the love!